Monday, April 03, 2006

Want to throw away your money?

I don't intend to bash all attempts at putting on a craft show. God knows I have done some stellar ones. But more than often it is a total waste of time and money. This always astounds me. You want to have a show, you approach artisans, you advertise, you sell. Instead what often happens is the person putting it on is concerned they won't make enough money so they rent to anyone. And what you end up having is a flea market type show where the cool hand made products are shadowed by the giant flower arrangements and quilts. There is nothing wrong with that stuff, I think it reeks of mediocrity, and shouldn't an artiscan market smell like talent?

I am tired of throwing my time and money away. I do however have a list of shows on the " Never do again " list. This list is for me. My necklaces require a fun, funky type crowd. Unfortunately my "do do do" list is not as large. So suffice it to say I won't be doing a lot of shows this year. I may as well get a fucking paper shredder and dispose of my money that way.

And I am tired of donating things. Has it gotten me ANY more business? Fuck no. I work hard to make my jewelry. They are awesome. I applied at the Distillery for the third year in a row. Wonder if they will turn me down again. TOO many people in the jewelry category was the excuse last year. Did I mention my stuff is unique? Fucking unique. Down with wooden flowers.

1 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger viki said...

thanks baby

 

Post a Comment

<< Home